As we started to tear down our kitchen wall and make it more open, I knew I had to make the kitchen flow with the rest of the neutral house.
Even though my kitchen looked very much red and yellow, it was an easy fix. The biggest things that didn’t flow were the yellow wall and the red touches. Paint wall? Check! Red touches? In progress!
The first thing I started with was replacing this red buffalo check country style kitchen into more of a chic french cafe look. I originally saw the idea from this blogger and adapted it to fit my own style. And by adapt, I mean I messed up a ton so it didn’t even look like the blogger’s tutorial 😉
1. First, I measured the length of the window to figure out what size drop cloth I would need. Then I took out a good piece from my pile of left over drop cloths from this project, this project, and this project and picked a piece that fit!
2. After I had the right size I sewed a pouch for the curtain rod to go through (not sure if it’s called a pouch ha).
3. Then I hung up the curtain to see how long I wanted it to hang over the tension rod. The curtain rod gets hung up like normal, and the tension rod goes to the edge of your cupboards further down…give or take.
4. I cut it for the size I wanted then hung it up to see if there needed to be any adjustments. Obviously there were. I’m a great cutter clearly 😉
5. After I got the size right, I started to add the outline for the stripes. I used masking tape to make the stripes and a tape measure to get them as evenly spaced as I could.
6. Then I started painting with leftover paint from our entryway front door makeover. Be really careful with painting! I accidentally dripped onto a part that wasn’t going to be painted. If this happens, you can paint it white (thanks mom for the idea!), but I ended up cutting my awning pretty much in half. This worked for me, because I started off with my awning extra long.
7. Not much left now! Once it dries, remove the tape, hang it up, and admire your handiwork!
I’m usually not a very patient person, but I did try to actually do it right by measuring stripes and all that technical stuff. Though it didn’t turn out perfectly, I do think it turned out better than if I just free handed it…which is what I usually do!
I did think about editing out my scratched up countertops from a paint job gone wrong and the hole above my sink that you didn’t know about because there was a plate that just happened to be there…but I thought hey, this is real life! Also…in all of these photos I am just now realizing that the window is only half painted. Woops. Better make a mental note of that.
I bet you can guess what my next project is. If you guessed cover that hole…you are right!