Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
You asked, I answered!
My hair and everything surrounding it is one of my most asked questions and I’m excited to go on this journey with you (can you tell I just finished The Bachelor haha).
By sharing my own process and some tips and tricks I’ve learned, I hope this answers any questions you had and helps someone else figure out how to style their curly hair!
How to Style Curly Hair
You’re going to want to watch this video to get all the juicy stuff!
But for those that want to quickly scan and don’t want to watch a video (hehe), I’m recapping it all below!
It’s not (totally) all about the products
As a blogger, I get to try out a lot of different products and I’ve had good results from all sorts of things. I don’t have one ride or die product, so don’t get too caught up on what you use, but do be smart about it. Look for products aimed at curly hair and helping with frizz, moisture, and defining curls!
Don’t comb your hair (even in the shower) and don’t ever brush it dry!
This is a tip I picked up from a curly hair specialist I visited many years ago.
You want to use your fingers to separate your curls because you can feel the tangles better and it’s a lot more gentle than yanking a comb through them.
Brushing your hair dry is way too harsh and just rips your hair out and breaks off your ends!
This is the curly hair process you want to do instead
- Whenever you’re showering and getting your hair wet, use a good amount of conditioner and take your hair chunk by chunk and untangle your hair until it’s smooth(ish- no matter what I do sometimes my hair can always be a little tangled ;P)
- If it’s really tangled, sometimes you might just need to add more water instead of conditioner.
- It takes time and it really is a process!
- Once your hair is in silky individual strands, scrunch your hair from ends to roots until you start to see the curls take shape.
- With your head upside down, apply gel/product. Try to get it distributed evenly. I start with the ends and work up.
- Pick your part and let it air dry!
Here are personal things that I do & don’t do:
- I don’t shampoo each time I’m in the shower, but I always, always condition. My hair is mixed and doesn’t get greasy, so the no shampoo thing might not work for everyone.
- Sometimes I only rinse out half of the conditioner to give a coating on my hair to help with frizz later on.
- 99% of the time I air dry. If there’s someplace I have to be and I’m in a rush, sometimes I’ll half blow dry it and let it air dry the rest of the way. I actually don’t have a diffuser and I’m not sure why I haven’t picked one up yet!
- Sometimes I can get my curls to look good second day by getting my hair damp and adding some product, but I usually can’t go 3 days and still have my hair look good!
- I do deal with frizz and find that a frizz oil or moisture butter helps. If I’m in a pinch, sometimes a couple of squirts of just some good ol’ body lotion will do!
- I have a silk pillowcase. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don’t. I sleep with my hair up anyway, so I don’t think I can really tell a difference. Which brings me to…
- At night I sleep with my hair in a topknot. I’ve tried wraps and the “pineapple” style, but I don’t like anything to remotely touch my face in the night.
- I don’t get super frequent trims. We all know that curly hair doesn’t grow as fast or it grows “out” instead of “down”. I was also told by my curly hair specialist that curly hair needs time to grow and shouldn’t be trimmed every 6 weeks.
- I was blonde as a kid but dark brown hair is now my natural color. I get highlights a couple of times a year! I should not wait as long to touch it up but I forget haha and can get away with it since I have curly hair.
I’m not a hair expert, but I hope something in here was a good takeaway for those that want to know how to style curly hair!
Be on the lookout for a post on cute hair accessories to jazz up your mane, whether you have curly hair or not!