Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
Good pairs of jeans are the key to nailing a stylish outfit formula. The only problem is finding the perfect jeans. Shopping for the perfect pair of jeans can be overwhelming. There are so many jeans styles to choose from. You need to find jeans that perfectly fit your body type, the right wash, and one within your budget.
If you are planning to update your jeans drawer but are not sure where to start, Levi’s website is a place you need to check out. It is heaven for jeans lovers. You are guaranteed to find the highest quality jeans trousers in many styles. But the most popular Levi’s jeans you need to know about are the Levis 505 and 550.
They both offer a timeless style, but it can be hard to decide which one to choose. To help you pick the best one, we have made a Levis 505 VS 550 guide. Without much further ado, scroll on to learn the major differences between the two iconic jeans.
What is the meaning behind Levi’s fit numbers?
Levi Strauss invented his first jeans and labeled them Levi’s 501 original in 1873. He used the three digital numbering systems to signify the overall fit of Levi’s jeans. This includes the fit through the waist, hips, and thigh area.
Since then, Levi’s numbers have expanded to a new range of denim styles. You can find modern jeans that are categorized in the following fit and style for women: 710 super skinny fit, 721 high rises, 712 slim fits, 714 straight fits.
Levis also had a 500 jeans series that was only designed for men. Now this specific style and fit are available for women. The collection features vintage jeans called the Levis 505 and 550. They sound very similar that you might be wondering what the key differences are.
What is the Levis 505?
The Levis 505 were invented in 1967 for working men to withstand harsh factory and construction environments. But now they have become a wardrobe staple for fashion lovers and for a good reason too. The regular-fit jeans have a classic look that features a relaxed and loose fit, and a zipper fly. It also has a body-flattering mid-high rise design.
These straight-leg jeans can pair well with a leather jacket and casual tops.
505™ STRAIGHT LEG WOMEN’S JEANS
What women love about these jeans: “Easy comfortable fit but still cute jeans. They easily fit through the hip and thigh and are also very attractive at the same time. I bought mine in the curvy fit because I have a smaller waist and frame, and I love them. To me, they seem to have a slight, slight bootcut, but they’re mostly straight. They do have a polyester component, about 20-25% poly, but the mostly cotton content keeps them feeling breathable in winter and spring. We’ll see how they feel in summer, but my overall opinion is still positive for these 505 jeans…“
- The waist area fits perfectly but they can have a little bit of room in the zipper area.
- Runs a bit large: These relaxed-fit jeans are quite big. So if you are planning on ordering these jeans, consider going down a size.
- Rarely in stock: These vintage levis always sell out quickly, and take a while to come back in stock (especially online).
- They have a great length selection. The inseams range from S = 28” inseam, M = 30″ inseam, L = 32″ inseam, XL = 34″ inseam. These lengths are perfect for rocking with elegant pumps and cute booties.
- Very comfortable fit. The denim is not scratchy and stiff compared to some other jeans brands. It is made from high-quality cotton and elastane which makes it easy to wear throughout the day. So if comfort is a priority for you, this straight leg design is calling your name.
- Timeless design. This regular fit mid-rise style is so classic and versatile that it can be worn in different ways. You can cuff the ankles and slip on some boots or you can tuck in your go-to white tee for a cool day look.
What is the Levis 550?
The levis 550 was released in 1985 as dad jeans. They have a tapered leg that would look great with cowboy boots. A midrise that is flattering to a natural waist. Plus, the extra room makes them more comfortable to wear than skinny jeans. The zip fly sits at the waist, and it has a 16.5″ leg opening.
They are also made from 100% cotton that makes them very durable.
What women love about these jeans: “This is exactly what I was looking for! They are relaxed comfy jeans! I love that the waist is lower in the front and higher in the back and I love that they are not your typical skin-tight jean. I’m in my 50’s and I can still look stylish without trying to look like a teenager. Several of the colors are not 100% cotton but, the description explains that. They are lightweight, comfortable, and a definite “go-to” pair of jeans for me. I wish they would make more colors that are 100% cotton but very happy with these jeans! Great fit that can be worn cuffed or un-cuffed. And no muffin top makes me love these Levis jeans more.“
- The relaxed fit makes them comfortable enough to become your new everyday jeans. They also have plenty of room for you to easily move around in.
- You can find a wide range of wash options for the 550 design. From dark to light wash jeans.
- Since these jeans are slightly baggier than average jeans, it can be challenging to find one that is not too unflattering.
The final verdict: Levis 505 vs 550: These two iconic vintage jeans are so similar that it can be hard to decide which one to add to your closet. They both sit at the waist and have a leg opening of 16″. However, the best one to choose is the Levis 505. Simply because it has a much flattering fit and modern look for the female body than the slightly baggy relaxed jeans.
Now that you have picked out your new Levis jeans, it’s time to learn how to style them.