Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
Stuck in a style rut? We’ve all been there. What matters is not if you get stuck but if you stay stuck. Okay, I feel like I’m paraphrasing from an iconic quote, but it works! The fastest way to get out of your style rut is to start experimenting and dreaming up new outfit ideas. But first, you need new outfit inspiration. That’s where this post comes in. With these 20 ideas of new and unexpected places to find fresh outfit ideas, in no time at all you can revamp your look and go back to creating the different outfits that make you feel good, feel confident, and most importantly, feel excited about fashion again!
1. Art Museum
I don’t know about you, but every time I go to an art museum, I always feel more inspired. And if you’ve never thought that an art museum or gallery can translate to your personal style, think again!
Here are some ways an art museum can inspire your outfits:
- Color Palettes: Art galleries can inspire you to mix and match colors that you may not have considered pairing before. Or you can draw inspiration from the colors you see and integrate them into your outfits.
- Texture and Patterns: Art displays often have a mix of patterns and textures, such as intricately woven fabrics or bold brush strokes. Observing these details can help you create unique and interesting outfits.
- Silhouettes: Art can inspire new and creative silhouettes. For instance, if you come across an art piece that features flowing lines or asymmetrical shapes, you may be inspired to create a similar silhouette in your outfit.
- Accessorizing: You can also be inspired by the accessories showcased in an art gallery, such as jewelry, hats, and bags. You can try to incorporate similar accessories or find ways to adjust them to fit your personal style.
- Mood and Emotion: Art evokes a wide range of emotions and moods. Observing the art pieces’ different moods and emotions can inspire you to dress in a similar tone, whether that be a bold and confident look or something softer and more subdued.
You know what you’ve got to do now. Head over to the nearest museum, take your time to walk around, and let your creativity flow. Take a notepad with you to jot down your ideas or take your phone so you can snap pictures of inspiration to weave into your next outfits.
2. Nature Walk
One of the best ways to find inspiration for your fashion choices is to step outside and take a walk in nature. Not to mention this practice is just plain ol’ good for you! Nature offers endless beauty and a unique color palette that can inspire your fashion choices.
Here are a few tips for finding inspiration during a nature walk:
- Pay Attention to the Colors: Take note of the colors of the flowers, trees, and sky. Consider incorporating these colors into your outfit choices.
- Take Photos: Capture the beauty of nature in photos and use them as mood boards for your next outfit.
- Look for Patterns: Notice the patterns of leaves, flower petals, and rocks. These patterns can inspire the texture and print of your clothing choices.
Overall, a nature walk can provide a fresh perspective (along with fresh air) to inspire new outfit ideas. And if you’re struggling to put together new outfit ideas, ask yourself if you even have the right wardrobe pieces! I created a resource for you that will help you build a wardrobe from scratch – it’s my most popular step by step guide!
3. Vintage Shops
If you normally shop at trendy places like Old Navy or Target, then switching it up and looking for clothes at a vintage shop is really going to shake you out of your style rut! Vintage shops are a treasure trove of unique pieces that can help elevate your personal style.
Here are some tips on how to get the most out of a vintage shop:
- Look for Statement Pieces: One of the best things about vintage shops is that they often carry statement pieces that you wouldn’t find in regular stores. Look for bold patterns, unique silhouettes, and quirky accessories that can add personality to any outfit.
- Experiment with Different Eras: Vintage shops are also a great place to experiment with different eras of fashion. Try on 70s bell bottoms or 90s grunge-inspired pieces to mix up your wardrobe and add some vintage flair.
- Play With Layers: Layering is a key aspect of vintage fashion. Don’t be afraid to mix and match pieces from different decades to create a one-of-a-kind look. A cropped jacket from the 80s paired with a flowing skirt from the 70s can create a cool and eclectic outfit.
- Get Creative with Accessories: Vintage shops often have a plethora of unique pieces to choose from. Experiment with funky hats, oversized sunglasses, and chunky jewelry to add some retro flair to your style.
4. Coffee Shops
No, a coffee shop isn’t fashion week, but it can have the same effect – getting inspired by other people! One of the simplest and most effective ways to find new outfit ideas is by simply people-watching at your local coffee shop. With countless people of all ages, backgrounds, and styles passing through these trendy spots every day, it’s more than likely you’ll find some interesting looks that inspire you.
Here are some tips for making the most of your coffee shop fashion hunt:
- Keep Your Eyes Peeled: Observe people’s outfits closely and take note of anything that stands out to you. Whether it’s a bold pattern, a unique accessory, or a particular color combination, there’s sure to be at least one thing that catches your eye.
- Snap Photos: If you see an outfit that you absolutely love, take a discreet photo of it for reference later. (Just be sure to do so respectfully and avoid photographing people without their consent.)
- Analyze Trends: Look for commonalities among the people you observe. Are there certain styles or pieces that keep popping up? These are likely current trends that you can incorporate into your own wardrobe. If you like them, that is!
- Experiment: Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Use the coffee shop as a low-pressure environment to test out new styles and see what works for you.
Now, grab your latte and get to hunting!
5. International Films
Want a break from scrolling through social media and from getting sucked into the latest TikTok fashion trends? Though those can be great places to get inspiration from, sometimes we just need to get off our phones. But let me off an alternative: international films.
International films can be an excellent source of fashion inspiration. Not only do they showcase different cultures, but they also introduce us to new fashion styles that we might not be familiar with. Watching films from different countries and regions can expand our fashion horizon and help us create new outfit combinations.
Here are some tips on how to get fashion inspiration from international films:
- Watch Films Set in Different Eras: Whether it’s a classic movie from the 50s or a modern new release, watching movies that take place in different decades can give you plenty of outfit ideas.
- Focus on the Lead Character: Lead characters are usually the ones that wear the most eye-catching or memorable outfits. Pay attention to their clothing choices and you might find yourself with a whole new wardrobe inspiration.
- Look for Films Set in a Specific Location: Films set in a particular region or country often reflect that location’s fashion culture and style. For example, films set in Paris might showcase chic and sophisticated styles, while movies set in Japan might have an emphasis on minimalist, clean-cut outfits.
Watching a variety of international movies can help you step out of your style rut and create a whole new look. Grab some popcorn and start watching – you might be surprised by what you find!
6. Architectural Landmarks
The intricate designs, unique shapes, and beautiful colors of architectural landmarks can spark ideas for new outfits or even entire fashion themes! After all, if it works for high-fashion designers, then it can work for you.
Here are a few ways to use architectural landmarks as a source of inspiration for your fashion:
- Look for Color Inspiration: One of the easiest ways to get inspired by architecture is by focusing on the colors. Notice the color combinations and patterns used in the building’s facade and try to replicate these colors in your outfits.
- Draw Inspiration from Shapes: Another way to get inspiration from architectural landmarks is by focusing on the shapes and patterns used in the building’s design. Consider the geometric shapes, the curves, and the lines of the building and use them to inspire the lines and shapes in your outfits.
- Combine Traditional and Modern Styles: Many architectural landmarks have a mix of traditional and modern styles. Use this to your advantage by creating an outfit that combines vintage and contemporary pieces as these pieces can give a unique edge to your outfit.
- Pay Attention to Details: Finally, take a closer look at the smaller details in the architecture. Look for intricate patterns, intricate designs, or unique shapes. These small details can inspire your accessories, such as jewelry or bags.
7. Music Videos
Whether you want to create reputation-inspired outfits from Taylor Swift, wear an Eras tour outfit (even if you’re not going), or use your favorite album to inspire you, there is so much inspiration to be had in the music world. And specifically, music videos. Music videos are not just a great source of entertainment, but they can also provide some major style inspo.
Here’s how to use them to your advantage:
- Find an Artist or Band Whose Style You Admire: Look for videos where they have standout fashion moments. Study the looks and try to find similar pieces that work for you.
- Pay Attention to the Details: It could be a funky pair of earrings, an oversized jacket, or an unusual print. Note down these elements and see how you can incorporate them into your wardrobe.
- Get Inspired by the Era: Many music videos pay homage to different decades. Look for videos that showcase styles from the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, or ’90s, and take cues from the clothing and accessories.
- Mix and Match: Often, music videos feature unexpected combinations of clothing that just work. Don’t be afraid to mix patterns, textures, and colors that you wouldn’t usually wear together.
- Keep it Authentic: While it’s great to be inspired by what you see, make sure that any outfit you put together still feels authentic to you and your personal style!
Believe it or not, bookstores can be a jackpot for style inspiration. From classic literature to fashion coffee table books, you can find plenty of ideas to update your wardrobe!
Here are other ways to get the most out of your bookstore visit:
- Fashion Magazines and Books: Go right to the source. Look for new ideas and style tips from fashion experts. You can also read interviews with fashion designers and influencers to get ideas on how to mix and match different pieces.
- Sewing Books: If you’re into vintage or retro fashion, head to the section that specializes in vintage dressmaking. You might find books that showcase fashion from different eras, such as the roaring twenties or the sixties mod era. You can take inspiration from these iconic styles and create your own modern twist on them.
- Books on Style Icons: From Audrey Hepburn to Jackie O, there are plenty of famous figures whose style you can emulate. These books often feature plenty of photos and behind-the-scenes stories that can help you understand what makes their looks so iconic.
- Photography and Art: If you’re looking for inspiration beyond fashion, browse the photography and art section. You can find books featuring photos of street style from different cities around the world or artistic interpretations of fashion that can help you think outside the box.
9. Dance Performances
Dance performances are not only a treat for the eyes but also a great way to get some fashion inspiration. From contemporary ballet to hip-hop, there is no shortage of dance forms that can offer style cues!
How to get fashion inspiration from dance performances:
- Focus on the Fabrics: Dancers usually wear fabrics that are light, flowy, and easy to move in. Pay attention to the type of fabric used and how it drapes on the body. This can give you an idea of how to incorporate flowy fabrics into your wardrobe.
- Notice the Colors: Dancers often wear bright and bold colors to stand out on stage. But depending on the performance, like the Nutcracker, colors could also be soft and subtle. Take note of the color combinations and how they work together.
- Observe the Accessories: From ballet shoes to street-style sneakers, dancers use accessories that complement their performance. Take note of the accessories used and how they add to the overall look. This can give you an idea of how to incorporate accessories into your outfits.
- Look for Details: Dance costumes often have intricate details like embroidery, sequins, and frills. Pay attention to these details and how they add to the overall look. This can inspire you to add details to your outfits!
The next time you attend a dance performance, make sure to pay attention to the costumes and how they fit the theme of the dance.
Going to the beach is not just about soaking up the sun; it’s also a great opportunity to get inspired by the fashion and style of other beachgoers!
Here are some tips to help you get fashion inspiration from beaches:
- Look at the Nature Around You: Textured beige sand, sparkling blue water, and intricately designed seashells are all things to take notice of. Whether it’s a color or texture, these beautiful scenes from nature may be something you’d want to try incorporating into your outfit.
- Notice the Fabrics: Beachwear is typically made from lightweight, airy fabrics like cotton and linen. Consider incorporating these fabrics into your outfits for a comfortable and breezy summer look.
- Check out the Swimwear: One of the best places to get swimwear inspiration is at the beach itself! Look at what others are wearing to see what you like and what you want to bring into your summer wardrobe.
- Observe the Accessories: Sunglasses, hats, and beach bags are a great way to add a little personality to your outfit. Take note of how people accessorize their beach outfits and see if you can add some of those elements to your own style.
- Take Inspiration from Beachside Events: Beachside events like bonfires, concerts, and beach parties are a great way to see how people dress up their beachwear. Pay attention to how people are styling their outfits and take some inspiration for your own summer event attire.
11. Fashion Magazines from Other Countries
For my birthday I was gifted a French fashion magazine subscription and it’s been such a special surprise each month! And when you’re stuck in a style rut, it’s easy to turn to the same fashion magazines that you always read for outfit inspiration. But why limit yourself to the same old sources? Fashion is global, and there are countless fashion magazines from all over the world that offer unique and exciting style ideas.
Here are some tips for finding fashion inspiration from magazines from other countries:
- Check out Newsstands: If you live in a major city, chances are you have access to international newsstands that carry magazines from all over the world. Take some time to browse and pick up a few that catch your eye.
- Use Online Resources: If you don’t have access to an international newsstand, don’t worry. There are plenty of online resources that allow you to browse and purchase fashion magazines from other countries. Some popular websites include Magazines Direct, Magazine Cafe, and Newsstand. And if you can’t get it shipped to your home address, you can get an online subscription and flip through many online.
- Look Beyond Fashion: Many international magazines cover not only fashion but also culture, art, and lifestyle. Don’t be afraid to branch out and pick up a magazine that covers a topic that interests you, even if it’s not solely focused on fashion. You never know what inspiration you may find. Of course, you might not be able to understand what the magazine is saying, but oftentimes, the images alone can be enough to give new ideas.
By looking beyond your usual sources for fashion inspiration, you can give your wardrobe a much-needed refresh. So go ahead, pick up a magazine from another country, and see where it transports your style!
We can’t wrap up this list without a few honorable mentions of even more places to get outfit inspiration:
- 12. Farmer’s Markets: The textures and colors of fresh produce can inspire color palettes.
- 13. Aquariums: The vibrant colors of sea life can inspire bold outfit choices.
- 14. Botanical Gardens: The natural colors and textures of plants can inspire earthy and bohemian outfits.
- 15. Food Trucks: Food trucks often have a unique and bold aesthetic to draw customers in that can inspire your creative outfit choices.
- 16. Music Festivals: Coachella, anyone? The eclectic styles of festivalgoers can inspire bold and edgy outfits.
- 17. Hardware Stores: Who would have thought! The shapes and textures of hardware materials can inspire edgy and utilitarian outfit choices.
- 18. National Parks: The natural colors and textures of the environment can inspire rugged and outdoorsy outfits.
- 19. Art Supply Stores: The colors and textures of art supplies can inspire creative outfit choices with unexpected color combinations and textures.
- 20. Flea Markets: Get inspired by the past. Flea markets are the place to go for vintage pieces that can inspire your outfit choices. Take a look at old photographs, movies, and cltohes for inspiration on how to incorporate vintage pieces into modern outfits.
Being in a style rut is completely normal and it happens to everyone. But worry no more, because now you can see there are plenty of ways to find new outfits inspiration and revamp your style!
Looking for even more inspiration? Get the lowdown on the best style books next: 14 Best Books on Style To Inspire You