Today, I'm having Shannon Mann, a fashion and lifestyle blogger from Oysters to Pearls, share her 6 wardrobe must-haves for every woman over 50 (or 40) as well as things to avoid to look classy and chic in your midlife. Enjoy!
Hello, fellow fashionistas!
My name is Shannon Mann from Oysters to Pearls, a fashion and lifestyle blog. My love for all things fashion has fueled my passion to inspire other ladies to be comfortable in their own skin, dress for success and live their best life!
As a midlife influencer, I get asked many questions about age-appropriate fashion. We are definitely a "youth-obsessed" culture, so we have to be cautious and not let this drive our desire to "dress young," which can sometimes backfire on us.
Classy and timeless is the goal in this season! Do you cringe when you think about something you wore in your younger years? I think we have probably all learned that lesson the hard way, but when we reach our fifties we know what we like and have figured out what works for us. We are comfortable in our own skin.
When asked about my personal style journey, I would say that it has evolved over the years. Much like we mature as women, I believe our style matures as well. As a woman in my fifties, I lean toward a more classic look consisting of timeless and sophisticated tailored pieces, structured bags, simple jewelry and heels (always heels).
Women in their 40s and 50s know who they are and are authentic to their style; however, do not be afraid to take risks.
For example, a small animal print can work in your favor and can really unleash your confidence.
Here are a few must-have items to add to your closet:
1. A classic button-down shirt that can be worn with a blazer or a pair of jeans. Sleeves pushed up and heels is a chic look.
2. A sampling of blazers. These are staple pieces which look great worn with a dress, skirt or dressed down with jeans and boots.
3. A "power bag." When a woman has a good bag, it commands attention.
4. A good pair of jeans that fit perfectly and look classy. You are never too old for jeans. For a more dressy look, opt for a darker denim and add a trench coat for a sleek smart look.
5. The pencil skirt is an iconic and timeless piece that can be worn with a beautiful textured cardigan for added dimension.
6. Animal print. This instantly elevates an outfit and makes it current.
A few things to avoid:
1. Showing too much cleavage. Remember, we are keeping it classy.
2. Too many neutral colors. Mix it up. Add a pop of color to a neutral.
3. Elastic waistbands .... eek!! I know... I know...they're so comfy. Consider swapping for a great pair of leggings.
4. Garish makeup. Less is always more.
When it is all said and done, when you wear what you love, you will exude confidence. The buzz is that "60 is the new 40". You darn right it is!
Craving more fashion over 50? Keep reading!
Up next: How to Have Style in Your 40's, 50's, & Beyond