Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
After months of dreary winter weather, I’m sure you are officially ready for springtime fashion looks to come in full force! It’s the perfect time to make a fresh start and revamp your closet – so pack away your heavy winter coats and make room for breezy clothes and refreshing colors. If you need a starting point, we’ve got plenty of spring outfits for any older woman over 40, plus the best spring-season pieces from floral dresses, cotton shorts, blue denim jackets, and more. Scroll on to discover spring fashion for women over 40!
Spring Fashion Essentials for Women Over 40
1. Relaxed Button-Down Shirt– A button-down is great for creating spring outfit formulas. Better yet, there are many different ways you can style a relaxed button-down shirt. Whether it’s a button-down with jeans and sneakers for a casual look or worn with shorts and sandals, the outfit possibilities are endless!
2. Striped Button-Down– Stripes are a spring staple for a good reason – it works as the perfect focal point in a spring outfit. Mix it up with white jeans and you will look like you’re vacationing in the south of France!
3. Striped Shirt– For a more casual alternative, add a comfy striped t-shirt to your summer wardrobe. After all, one of the best ways to create stylish outfits is with a striped shirt! The horizontal stripes in navy or black offer a spring look a chic finish.
4. White T-Shirt– A white tee is an unsung hero in a closet. It makes spring outfits look so classy with minimal effort. You can’t go wrong whether you wear it on its own or under a spring jacket.
5. Denim/Chambray Shirt– When it gets a little bit cold in spring, you may want a denim shirt to layer over your spring casual wear. A denim shirt is thicker while a chambray shirt is more lightweight. Choose the one that’s best for you.
6. Cashmere Sweater– Even in warm weather, cashmere sweaters are needed. They are great for creating a chic look and will give you some warmth when the spring weather gets a little chilly.
7. Striped Sweater– A red striped sweater is always a good idea to wear in spring! Black and navy stripes are a must-have, but this pop of color is great for creating a stylish look for spring. Plus, they will match perfectly with the red spring flowers in your garden.
1. White Jeans– These jeans are oh-so-fresh for spring. The white hue will look even better when paired with stripes.
2. Blue Jeans– Blue denim jeans are a staple to wear all the time. But when spring comes around, try something a little different. Team it up with a white tee and a quilted jacket for a fresh update.
3. Khaki Pants– Though khaki pants may sound outdated, chinos are actually a great pair to have for older women. A great way of making these pants look less husband-playing-golf is by pairing them with a striped cardigan and ballet flats. These two pieces are great for adding a feminine touch!
4. Linen or Cotton Pull-on Pants– Now for comfortable bottoms that won’t sacrifice style, add a pair of pull-on pants to your warm weather wardrobe. They give you a great start when building a casual chic spring outfit.
5. Denim Shorts– Spring marks the start of shorts season, so of course you would want some for the season! To feel more comfortable in cut-offs, choose shorts with a longer inseam, like this pair, but try not to go longer than 7 inches. Team them up with sandals, ballet flats, sneakers, loafers, and more.
6. Cotton Shorts– Not only do cotton shorts feel nice on the skin when the temperatures are hot, but they’re a wardrobe workhorse too. These “Easy Shorts” are certainly easy to style – throw them on with anything from basic tees to button-down shirts.
Additional Ideas: Slip Skirt – Go for a timeless look this spring with a slip silk skirt. The fabric is very soft on the skin and thanks to its classy material, it can be worn from day to night.
1. Denim Utility Jacket– When the temperatures drop, you’ll want a slightly thicker jacket to layer over your spring outfits. That’s where a denim utility jacket comes in handy.
2. Cardigan– No spring wardrobe is ever complete without a cardigan! Team it up with a slip dress for a date night or with shorts and a tank top.
3. Quilted Jacket– Give your spring outfits a high-fashion look with this quilted jacket. The gold buttons and pattern give off Chanel vibes.
4. Linen or Cotton Blazer– This blazer is great for pairing with pretty much anything in your spring closet. From dresses to basic tees and more.
Additional Ideas: Sweater Blazer – This is ideal when the spring weather all of the sudden gets moody. Not only will it keep you warm, but you’ll also look effortlessly stylish, even when wearing it at home.
1. Slip Dress– This “throwback” dress is always on the list of spring fashion trends, but it can be worn all year round with clever styling and especially for many spring seasons to come!
2. Shirt Dress– The spring weather is perfect for wearing a shirt dress. Accompany it with sneakers for a laid-back look.
3. Floral Dress– What better time to wear floral prints than in the springtime? They are perfect to wear for formal events like spring weddings or even casual get-togethers like picnics with friends.
1. Stylish Sneakers– Yes, it’s cool for older women to wear stylish sneakers too! Use them to give your spring casual outfits a youthful update. Not to mention they can be more comfortable to wear than sandals.
2. Loafers– Look effortlessly preppy with a pair of loafers. Team them up with a slip skirt or blue denim jeans.
3. Sandals– After months of wearing snow boots, it’s finally time to break out the sandals! Pair your spring-ready sandals with denim shorts or pull-on pants.
4. Ballet Flats– These shoes are feminine, romantic, comfortable, and polished. Add a pair to your spring wardrobe and team them with dresses and skirts.
Additional Ideas: Mules, Strappy Block Heels – Mule slides make for the perfect slip-on shoe. A pair of high heels is also needed in a spring wardrobe as they are the best finishing touch to pair with a dress.
1. Everyday Tote Bag– Every woman over 40 needs a wear-with-everything tote bag. It is versatile which makes it ideal for styling all your spring outfits. And how about the stripes on this one? It would look so chic while getting groceries!
2. Sunglasses– When it comes to spring accessories, everyday black sunglasses are the best. From jeans and a t-shirt to shorts and button-downs, you can use them to elevate spring outfits.
3. Necklace– Don’t forget to accessorize your spring outfits with a timeless necklace. Opt for a simple design that can be easily worn with your spring looks.
4. Earrings– Give your ears a chic, spring update with gold or silver hoop earrings. Plus, a good thing about them is that they will instantly transform a spring look from plain to elegant.
5. Leather Bag– Neutral leather bags are one of the most wearable spring accessories. They can instantly polish up any spring outfit.
6. Straw Bag– There are fun ways of elevating a spring outfit and one of them is with a straw bag. These bags have a relaxed and playful aesthetic, which makes them a great bag to own for spring.
Additional Ideas: Baseball Cap – A baseball cap was not only cool to wear during your younger years, but it can also look great in your 40s. Use the cap to accessorize a white tee and cotton shorts.
When the days are getting longer and sunnier, it’s always a great idea to give your wardrobe a fresh start with spring pieces. While spring usually involves wearing crop tops and sheer fabrics for the younger generation, you can opt for fun, classy, and chic clothing for women over 40.
Now that you have found the right spring fashion pieces for women over 40, it’s time to think ahead to your summer wardrobe. Up Next: A Classy Summer Capsule Wardrobe for Women Over 50