Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
The transition from winter to spring can be a tricky time when it comes to fashion. On one hand, you want to dress for the new spring season, but on the other hand, it’s not usually warm enough right away to ditch all of your winter pieces. Fortunately, with a few clever styling tricks, you can create winter-to-spring transitional outfits that are comfortable and stylish. And the best part? By learning how to style your favorite winter clothes, you don’t have to pack everything away and start over. Keep reading for tips on how to stylishly wear your winter clothes well into the spring season!
Tips on How to Transition an Outfit from Winter to Spring
- Layer Lightly: Instead of layering with puffy winter coats or fur-trimmed outerwear, add lots of light layers to still stay plenty warm. Start by using lightweight items like sweaters, long-sleeve shirts, and basic t-shirts as layering pieces. This will keep you warm without adding bulk. Start with a lightweight base such as a long sleeve t-shirt and then layer on top of it with heavier items like a chunky cardigan.
- Pair Different Fabrics Together: Mix heavier winter fabrics such as wool, leather, or fur with lighter spring fabrics such as linen, cotton, or chambray. For example, pair a heavier winter coat with a light chambray shirt and cropped jeans for a polished spring look. Or pair a leather jacket with a chiffon dress for an edgy chic look.
- Incorporate Spring Shades: This can be as simple as wearing a pale pink sweater under your camel wool coat or donning some brightly colored accessories like a sage green scarf. Try pairing brighter-colored pants or skirts with chunky sweaters and boots. A pair of soft green pants with an oversized chunky knit sweater, leather boots, and a long wool coat can make for a stylish look. Or go for a pastel pleated midi skirt and pair it with a cream sweater and black knee-high boots.
- Be Smart With Your Outerwear: For those really cold days, add a colorful statement piece to your look. Think of a midi-length teddy coat in a pastel hue – perfect for transitioning your wardrobe from winter to spring. By combining winter staples with pops of color, you can create stylish winter-to-spring transition outfits that will keep you warm without sacrificing your sense of style.
- Don’t Forget About Accessories: Accessories such as scarves, hats, and gloves can be great additions to your outfit and help you transition between winter and spring. Try pairing a cozy wool scarf with a lightweight spring dress or adding a stylish beanie to a sweater and jeans combo.
Now, for the 10 winter clothing pieces that you can still wear in spring!
One great way to make use of your winter coats and jackets is by using your outerwear as a layering piece with your spring clothes. You can layer your winter outerwear with light and breezy fabrics such as chiffon, satin, and cotton, as well as lightweight sweaters.
For example, wear your winter coat over a cotton spring dress. You could also try pairing your quilted jacket with a slip skirt and ankle boots. These winter pieces add a layer of warmth and style to any outfit!
Tights are a great way to transition your winter wardrobe into the spring months and allow you to break out your skirts and dresses even sooner! Not only can they add texture and style to any outfit, but they provide warmth and comfort as well.
Pair them with a skirt or dress for a classic look. (Or shorts if you want to try something different.) If you want to keep it simple, opt for a basic black pair that can go with anything. And if you’re feeling bold, try a colored or patterned pair to add some fun to your outfit.
You have many options when it comes to styling your cardigan! Consider pairing your cardigan with a flirty dress or skirt. Or layer your cardigan over a lightweight tank or tee.
You can add shorts and sandals for a casual look or opt for jeans and loafers for a dressier ensemble. You can also layer jewelry like necklaces and earrings with the cardigan to create a more polished look.
It may seem like an unlikely combination, but winter boots can be worn with skirts and dresses in the spring. And for boots, choose your leather or suede pair – it is time to pack the quilted, fur-lined snow boots away.
To make the look of boots and dresses more season-appropriate, try pairing a lightweight, flowy skirt or dress with a chunky or tall winter boot. If you want to add even more warmth to your outfit, layer on a lightweight trench coat, oversized cardigan, or leather jacket.
The versatility of turtlenecks as a layering piece is unmatched. They are the perfect way to add a warm layer without looking too bulky in the spring weather. To make the most out of your winter turtlenecks, try pairing them with other pieces such as lightweight cardigans and blazers. You can also use your turtleneck as a base layer under a chunky knit sweater or oversized hoodie.
Overall, turtlenecks are the perfect way to stay warm while still looking stylish during the transitional period between winter and spring. With the right pieces, they can be a great way to add some warmth and texture to any outfit.
This wardrobe workhouse can be worn all year round and is one of the easiest items to transition into spring! To take your winter denim into the warmer months, start by opting for lighter washes and bright colors.
Give your black and dark wash jeans a break as medium to light blue and white jeans can help add a bit of brightness and a fresh look to your outfit.
Winter sweaters can be a tricky item to incorporate into spring outfits. After all, who wants to keep wearing a heavy wool sweater when the sun is out and the temperatures start to rise? But there are ways to make winter sweaters work for spring.
For starters, dig through your closet for lightweight sweaters made of materials like cotton or cashmere. These materials are much more suited for warmer weather and won’t feel too heavy or bulky. Also, a loose, relaxed fit won’t make you feel restricted.
You could try pairing the sweater with shorts and sandals or wearing it with a skirt and ankle boots. By keeping the rest of your outfit light and airy, you’ll keep your winter sweater from looking too heavy and out of place.
A winter scarf can be a great way to add warmth and style to your spring wardrobe. The best way to style a winter scarf is to pair it with spring colors and light layers. Try wearing your scarf with a cardigan, a jean jacket, or a blazer over your scarf to keep the look casual but put together.
Winter scarves often come in dark colors and prints that don’t necessarily fit into the typical spring color palette, so be on the lookout for a winter scarf in spring-pleasing colors. This is one of the best ways to transition your wardrobe.
Leggings are a great way to transition from winter to spring as they provide warmth and comfort during the chillier days. To make them more appropriate for the season, pair them with lighter fabrics, such as an oversized cotton button-down.
Alternatively, you can pair leggings with a tunic or a shirt dress and add an oversized cardigan or blazer for extra warmth and style. Want more of a casual spring look? Pair your leggings with an oversized t-shirt and denim jacket.
10. Long-Sleeve Shirts
Long sleeve shirts are a great option for dressing on those days that aren’t quite warm enough for shorts and tank tops yet. One way to wear long sleeve shirts in the spring is by pairing them with a light-wash pair of jeans. Easy and simple!
For a look that’s fun and flirty, pair your long sleeve shirt with a breezy maxi or midi skirt. For extra layering, you can always add a lightweight cardigan on top of the shirt. Lastly, add a pair of boots or loafers to complete the look!
With these tips, there’s no need to pack away those winter clothes just yet! With some creativity and inspiration, you can take your winter clothing pieces and make them look stylish and up-to-date in the spring.
Now that you know what winter clothing pieces you can wear in spring, it’s time to complete your look with a pair of sunglasses. Up Next: The Top 7 Sunglasses That Are in Style Right Now