What better way to learn about Parisian chic style than from some amazing Parisian women? These fashion interviews are so incredibly helpful if you want to learn about Parisian style straight from the source and dress in an authentic Parisian way! Check out 1, 2, & 3 and keep reading to learn from fashion author and insider, Sophie Gachet.
Sophie Gachet is not only a fashion journalist for Elle in Paris, but she's also the co-author of Parisian Chic, a style guide for all women that want to infuse their wardrobe with a dose of Parisian chic style. As if the first book didn't have enough great fashion tips, be sure to check out The Encore!
1. What's your go-to outfit for specific occasions? For example, date night, job interview, or errands around town?
A slim jeans, a shirt and a blazer. And my 2.55 Chanel bag. All in black. This is my uniform. From day to night. And it works for any occasion. I just change the shoes. For errands around town, I wear low boots or boots (always black) and for night, I like stilettos. And if it is a party, I love wearing shoes that make a statement (silver pumps, sandals with jewels, etc).
2. Do you ever find yourself indulging in trends or do you stick to a classics only wardrobe?
I always wear black but in order to follow trends a little bit I like to add colorful accessories like a burgundy bag or leopard loafers. This season, I often wear a neon pink sweater with my black uniform.
3. Do Americans have an idealized way of viewing French fashion that isn't actually accurate? For example, do French women wear color all the time even though we think it's all neutrals?
I don’t know exactly how Americans see the French woman. I can talk about « The Parisienne » which is known to have an effortless style. I think that she is more someone who sticks to her style and try not to follow the trends too much. That can leads to a classical style (neutral colors and simple timeless pieces). But she can sometimes add a few trends to her « low profile » style. For exemple, this year, leopard prints are everywhere in Paris.
4. What's the best outfit combo you've ever worn?
I love wearing high boots, cashmere turtle neck sweater, denim and a cape. I am not the only one who seems to love this look: it is one of Celine’s silhouettes by Hedi Slimane this fall. 😉
5. Would you say that French women gather inspiration from other countries or do they lead the way in fashion inspiration?
Since the designers are coming from all around the world, everybody gathers inspiration from each others. Including French woman. The Parisienne is still a iconic figure of style, but nowadays the influencers are coming from everywhere with new ideas and new styles. Every woman is a an inspiration for another. We can always find something interesting in every styles.