Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
A classic white shirt is your no-fail staple item to have in your timeless wardrobe. Though a crisp white shirt is chic all year round, it’s especially great for summer. Whether you wear it tucked into a slip skirt for date night or worn as a beach coverup during vacation, it gives an effortless classy feel to even the most casual look. Here are some of the best ways on how to wear a white shirt!
First, keep these style tips in mind as you wear your versatile piece this summer!
- There’s no one right material. Whether you go for crisp cotton or relaxed linen, they all have a place in a classic style summer wardrobe.
- Inspect your top for loose threads and missing buttons. It’s these little things that can bring down your look.
- A white top is prone to stains. Do a quick check before you leave the house…especially around the armpits!
- Shopping for a new top? High quality is best. This classic piece is one you’ll wear over and over again, so it’s worth spending a little more so it will last and help you to look your best!
- Nobody wants to wear tons of layers in hot weather. Look for a shirt that isn’t see-through so you can avoid wearing an extra tank top or cami underneath.
- Consider what look you’re going for and that will determine the fit. Want to be easy breezy? Go for an oversized white shirt. Want to have more of a polished look? Then something more fitted is for you.
A simple white blouse is an all-around great piece to have for the warmer weather, but there’s just something about a white dress shirt with its buttons and collar. It’s not just for office wear! There are many different ways to wear it, but one great way to style this top for summer is with linen shorts.
Both of these items together create a classic look on their own, but don’t forget about all the different ways you can customize this outfit and make it yours! Whether that’s leaving a few buttons undone, tucking it all in, knotting it, or even just tucking it in a little bit, it’s not what you wear but how you wear it.
For a formal event, you could tuck your white top into a ballgown skirt or black trousers, à la Audrey Hepburn.
If you’re headed out to get drinks with your girlfriends and sit under some twinkling patio lights, you could pair your white shirt with flared cropped jeans, strappy sandals, and a leather jacket for when the summer breeze gets a little chilly. A denim jacket is a great idea too for when you need to add an extra layer!
Your white shirt would look great with skinny jeans and simple brown slides for an outfit you could wear for getting brunch or grabbing coffee with a friend.
Perhaps the easiest way to wear this top is paired with denim shorts. It doesn’t take a lot of thinking or effort and yet, it’s the perfect look for summer. Top it off with espadrilles or slides and a straw bag for a stylish summer look!
One of my favorite ways on how to wear a white shirt for summer is to pair it with linen pants. This outfit resembles something you could wear vacationing in Nice and though that’s not going to happen anytime soon for me, it doesn’t mean I can’t dress for it!
An easy way to make a white button-down shirt look relaxed and work for activities like running errands is to pair it with boyfriend jeans and white sneakers. Casual chic!
The right accessories can complete your outfit, and in summer, you don’t need much. Straw accessories like a straw bag, belt, or hat, are the perfect pairings with a white shirt. For jewelry, opt for a gold necklace or gold earrings as they will really pop against the white.
Check out the photos below for more stylish ways!
Here are some top picks for a quality white shirt that will make you look chic and put together this summer!
- The Linen Relaxed Shirt by Everlane
- The Double-Gauze Relaxed Shirt by Everlane
- The Silky Cotton Relaxed Shirt by Everlane
- The Square Air Shirt by Everlane
You can’t go wrong with however you decide to wear this classic piece. The best thing is that your look doesn’t have to be fussy and fancy to still look put together! That’s the beauty of a white button-down shirt. It instantly transforms anything into a chic outfit, whether you pair it with a silk skirt or distressed denim shorts.
If you’re looking for more ideas on how to put together a classic summer look, then you’re going to love these next posts!
Up Next: A Classic Capsule Wardrobe for Summer
Here’s Your Chic 10 Piece Wardrobe for Summer